Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Romas beginning to ripen...


At last count, this Roma Tomato plant had 47 tomatoes set on it! I usually don't buy more mature plants, because I find $5 plus for a single plant to be a head scratcher.  At some home improvement centers, I've even seen single plants over the $10 threshold.  I purchased this plant at the farmers market for $3, so the value was there.  Some of the best advice that I would give to anyone, would be to check out your local Farmers Market first.  For some, it may be a routine. but for others, you may have never thought about it.  I have admit that it was only 4 or 5 years ago when I started visiting the Farmers Markets.  Believe me when I say that I have definitely made up for lost time since then! We have a couple of outstanding markets in North Carolina.  I especially enjoy conversing with the older farmers. These are true professionals who have seen 40, 50 or even 60 growing seasons.  Just imagine the wealth of information that they have to share!

This plant seems to be 3-4 weeks ahead of the smaller plants that I bought in 4 and 6 pack trays.  I gave in and let our niece pick a few even though they weren't quite ripe enough yet.  Those 5 year olds are tricky!  What will I make first? I believe these 3 are destined to be paired with a few leaves of the neighboring basil, some balsamic and extra virgin olive oil.  When cooking gets too complicated, getting back to the simple, pure and fresh ingredients is all it takes.  So for the first tomatoes from the backyard this year, that is where I will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment