Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

Rosemary Focaccia



I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a good baker.  I’ve been able to make pies from scratch from the age of 6, but breads, cookies and cakes are my weak spot in the kitchen. This is certainly an area that I plan on improving.  It’s the exact science, measurements and all of the known and unknown variables of baking that can trip up any cook.  The other day I bought a 25# bag of bread flour.  One way or another, my baking skills are going to improve!
So what should I start with?  Well, the rosemary bush is always ready and willing to give some product to the kitchen, so Rosemary Focaccia it is.  Focaccia is an ideal bread for me.  It’s not too crunchy or hard.  It works great to make a sandwich.  Plus it’s strong enough to slice and dip or grill and top.  I looked over several recipes and this is the one that I went with for Trial #1.  I made two batches at once.  I figured if I was going through the routine, I might as well double the product for basically the same effort.  We had a family reunion coming up and I planned on taking some to share.  I made a spinach and white cheddar dip to go with it.  I sliced the bread into 3/4” slices, making it a great size for dipping.  Focaccia is also great with a simple dipping sauce of extra virgin, balsamic, garlic and herbs.  
There are plenty of good recipes online.  It would take me many frustrating trials to put together a recipe.  Here is the recipe that I used for this batch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment